Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Vegetable Beef Stroganoff

I made this tonight on a whim. I wanted a more healthy version of stroganoff, so I kind of tossed this recipe together. It turned out DELICIOUS. This picture doesn't have all the vegetables that I put it -my- recipe, but it was the best I could find... :)
1 lb lean ground beef
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 yellow onions
1 green bell pepper
1 cup mushrooms
1 small zucchini
1 small yellow summer squash
1 Tbsp basil
1/4 tsp celery seed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp lawry salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp honey mustard (or dijon mustard)
1 cube beef bollion
1/2 cup water
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
Extra thick egg noodles
Start water for boiling on the stove. When boiling, add egg noodles and cook until almost done.
Meanwhile, in a large pan brown beef, mushrooms, and onions. Add red wine vinegar and remaining vegetables and sautee until vegetables start to become softened.
Add basil, celery seed, salt, lawry salt, black pepper, garlic, mustard, and bollion and stir until vegetables are mostly cooked. Add water.
When noodles are -almost- done, add nonfat plain yogurt (or sour cream if you want it richer) to the vegetables/beef mixture and stir until all combined and heated through.
Serve over warm noodles. Delicious and easy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ARGH. I just lost my whole comment.

Ok. Here we go again..

We tried this tonight! What a great idea! Ben always requests his mom's strogenoff recipe and.. um.. er.. no. I can totally get behind this, though!

I added some beef seasoning when cooking the meat, a bit of fresh basil, celery salt (instead of seed, I didn't have any!), and a tiny bit of red pepper paste.

I thought it was great! Ben didn't think it was quite fattening enough, so I might add some sour cream when making the leftovers (tomorrow. I win at making dinner)

Jess, you're a genius!

xo
Amy

Bryan, Mary, Abby & Lorin said...

I definitely want to try this. I'll try Amy's little tricks too. Thanks you guys. I need help making dinner!