It's Zucchini season here, so its time to find some good recipes to use up all of the massive squashes our summer garden is producing.
I found this soup recipe to be excellent!
photo & recipe from tasteofhome.com
- 4 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed (I only used about half as much butter)
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (I use skim milk and its just as good)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sour cream and additional nutmeg, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute zucchini and onion in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to blender and puree until smooth.
- Return to the pan & stir in the cream, salt, basil, pepper and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish with sour cream (I use plain yogurt) and a pinch of nutmeg if you want.