Sunday, January 31, 2010

Creamy Chunky Potato Soup

image from www.timeinc.net

6 cups cubed potatoes (leave the skin on...its better for you)
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped celery
1 large yellow onion chopped
1 bunch green onions (chop whites up through light greens)
3 cups water
2 cubes chicken bouillon
1-2 tsp minced garlic
1-2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp butter

3 cups cream or milk
1/4 cup flour

1 1/2 cups chopped ham or bacon
2 1/2 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese

In a large pot combine the water, bouillon, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, green onions, garlic, salt & pepper, and butter. Bring to a boil.

In another bowl combine flour and cream/milk

Pour flour/milk into boiling pot of veggies. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.

Add ham/bacon and continue to simmer for 30 minutes to an hour. Soup will thicken nicely.

Add the cheese either into the pot or just on top after serving....

Serve in a lovely breadbowl, too, if you can. :)

P.S. Just as I do with most of my recipes here,
I kind of just made this up
so if you try it leave a comment
and let me know if you love it or hate it. :)

1 comment:

The Oborn Family said...

so - I am going to try this ASAP before all my potatos go bad . . . where did I get so many potatos??? :) Will let you know how it goes!